Sunday 25 January 2015

Stovetop Dinners

Since our move to South Korea, we haven't had an oven.  That coupled with the high grocery store prices has seriously limited the variety of meals I'm able to make.

One of our new favorite meals is a spin off Tuna Helper. My husband mentioned that he would like a "Helper" style meal. However, we are trying to eat better and boxed meals aren't readily available here.

So, I turned on my thinking cap...err...opened Pintrest. I typed in homemade helper and was greeted with lots of homemade versions of these ready made favorites.

We've tried a bacon cheeseburger version and a tuna. Hands down the tuna has been the best.

I created a recipe that suited our tastes based on the one I found at Iowa Girl Eats.

I'm going to be honest with you. This dish does not photograph well! But it tastes amazing. Promise.  Here's a picture anyway.


The recipe is really simple.

Boil and drain egg noodles or your favorite pasta. We use fusilli.



Sautee onions and spicy peppers in butter until soft. Season with salt and pepper.
Add in 1 1/2 tablespoons flour. Cook another minute.
Whisk in 3/4 C chicken broth and then 1/2 cup milk.


Add drained tuna, salt and pepper to taste and the cooked noodles.
Stir to combine. Turn off the heat. Stir in 1/4 C sharp cheddar (grated) until melted.

Serve it up!

Try this blueberry crisp for dessert.


Note: This dish heavily caters to my husbands preference for spicy food. To me, it's almost too spicy. However, it is so good it doesn't stop me.

PS: This is the dish I was making when I realized just how hot my kitchen was. The cheese was melting faster than I could grate it.

Do you have a favorite stovetop supper? I'm in the market for new recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you read? Leave a comment. Don't like what you read? Leave a comment.