Tuesday 27 January 2015

Taco Tuna Rice

I first made this dish for myself, without the tuna. My husband thought it looked and smelled delicious even though he isn't a rice fan.

I knew he would like it, but as a side not, a meal in itself so I started to think of ways I could beef it up for him while keeping it a relatively cheap meal. I immediately thought of adding some tuna. I'm not a tuna fan. He's not a rice fan. Maybe they would transform each other into something, not only palatable but delicious.

And it worked!



Here's the recipe I cobbled together. It's extremely flexible and can easily be adjusted to suit your tastes. Note, I made just around 3 servings.


Sautee diced onions, spicy peppers, minced garlic and about half a can of corn. Sprinkle with cumin. Add 2 servings cooked rice and half a packet of taco seasoning. Add a large can of drained tuna and stir to combine. Mix in salsa, just enough to cover but not enough that the meal is watery.

Cook until heated through and top with shredded cheese. I used Monterrey Jack.

I think that all of the flavors help to mask the tuna. I could barely taste it and it was really mild.

I'm linking up today at Oh Simple Thoughts. The discussion question today is how do you make your table a safe place for guests.

I think its really important to make people feel comfortable. I remember the first time I invited someone over for dinner on a whim. I invited them a day in advance because we had been scheduled to go out for dinner but I told her I felt like doing something more low key.

I am still amazed to this day that I didn't panic. I'm a planner by nature and I love to plan out dinner menus and decorations. If we're having company over for dinner I like to adjust my work schedule so that I can home earlier and get prepared.

I didn't do any of that that day but we still had an amazing dinner together. I made hot potato salad. I didn't even start cooking until my guest arrived! But we talked and shared wine as I cooked.

I think its really important to connect with your guests and not seclude yourself in the kitchen. They want to interact with you!

Also, I usually like to plan a variety and abundance of food. I would rather have to much and eat leftovers for the rest of the week than not have enough food for everyone to walk away feeling satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you read? Leave a comment. Don't like what you read? Leave a comment.